Sunday, November 18, 2007

In the Beginning...

...I started a blog. Talk about Blank Canvas Anxiety! I'm just diving in, without a clear idea of what subject matter I will cover. I just want to write and share my thoughts with whomever is interested in reading them (hi, Mom.) I came up with the name Cozumel Dreamin by combining one of my favorite vacation spots and one of my favorite things to do. Nothing more glamorous than that. A close runner-up was Choco Mom (one of my favorite things to eat and definitely my favorite thing to be).

Today my daughter auditioned for a part in The Magical Land of Oz, a children's musical being staged by a local theatre organization. At the ripe old age of nine, my child is an "Old Hat" at this kind of thing. She wasn't nervous at all. It is I, always I, who is more nervous. At first she wanted the role of Toto, but Toto has no lines. So then she switched her interest to the Cowardly Lion - a really fun part in my opinion - and now she really wants to be Dorothy. I want her to be Dorothy so badly, that I secretly (or not so secretly now that I've posted it on a blog) imagine myself wrapping my fingers around the neck of the person responsible for denying it to her, if in fact that is what happens. (Okay, now I'm taking a deep breath and smoothing the wrinkles out of my skirt as I gently sit down and re-gather my dignity. Actually I'm not wearing a skirt, but still...). 

The scene wasn't a suprise - A church hallway packed full of Moms and daughters (and a few sons) with neatly combed hair. I know every single Mother there was thinking the same thing. Why don't mothers in these situations just throw away the pretense, get it out in the open, and have a free-for-all-my-daughter-is-more-talented-than-yours Mama Cat fight in the hallway? You know, just to break up the tension a little.

In all sincerity, I did have a coping strategy. I prayed for a peaceful and clear mind. I took my journal along and planned to find a quiet place to write during the audition. But then I saw a friend and we sat down and began a nice chat. My husband was her grandson's band director about seven years ago, before he switched careers (another story for another time) so we have a lot of memories in common. Her grandaughter is my daughter's age and loves theatre too. So I decided to leave my journal in the car. Then another friend from my writing group joined us - I introduced my two friends, and we had a really wonderful conversation. Before I knew it, it was time to meet up with our kids again.

Wow. Sometimes you get what you pray for - in a different way than you expect.

My daughter felt really great about her audition. And I have to trust the Powers That Be to make the best decision based on the talent they saw today. And I'm sure she will have a great time - no matter what (I say as I smile through gritted teeth).

1 comment:

crescent said...

welcome to the blogosphere!