Friday, November 23, 2007

The Results are in

Drumroll ......... My daughter will be the Scarecrow.

Have you seen those cute clay jars with phrases on them like "Cruise Fund," or "Dreams," or "Shoulds & Oughts?" They've been around for awhile. Well, I need one right now that says "Things to Let Go Of." That's where I can neatly put any suspicions I have regarding the politics involved in how the roles were assigned. Then I can put the lid on the jar and place it neatly on the shelf next to my fireplace.

Elaine Mellencamp wrote a guest article for the Herald Times on September 9 about the politics involved in her boys' sports program. I could write a similar article about the politics I suspect are involved with children's performing arts. But I think I will stick to my little jar this time. My little jar and this blog forum.

That leaves me lots and lots of room to feel very happy, because the Scarecrow will be a very fun part for her. It suits her personality very well. She's goofy. I can totally see her pretending her legs are made out of straw. She's bright and loving. She wouldn't be happy running around in a gingham checked dress all day.

I am actually very excited that she continues to earn lead roles when tons of kids are auditioning. That's pretty cool. I'm a proud Mom. But I can't help wondering if there was anything more I could do to give her the best opportunity possible to win the role of Dorothy.

The larger question here is this: What is within my control? What I can do to ensure that my daughter's light isn't overlooked in this world (or at least in this community)? At what point does that responsibility shift from me to her? I'm forty-one years old, and it feels like I am just now starting to take responsibility for shining my own light. I think she'll get it before then. She probably already has it. And "it" overrides politics, doesn't it? It's too wonderful for the pettiness of politics.

1 comment:

montessori mom said...

What fun! Congratulations to Olivia.

I wonder what appeals to Olivia about being Dorothy? I wonder what appeals to you about her being Dorothy?

I'm glad you had fun at the rehearsal too. I used to get really nervous when the boys would test for their next Tae Kwon Do level, but now it doesn't bother me at all. I'm not exactly sure when my feelings about it changed, but the boys are fully capable about taking responsibility for how they do. They really don't stress over it and so are good teachers to me!

Hugs to you,
Esther